Monday 12 October 2015

Critical Reflection ETL 505



This subject is one of my last, deliberately left as I suspected I would be challenged by it and hoped more time working in the library would assist me. I am a creative person who excels more with words and pictures than numbers and finds technical processes generally difficult. I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to metadata and cataloguing you either love it or hate it, but generally most people find it challenging!  Aside from this I more clearly see the purpose of having and using a standardised system for describing and analysing resources in order to provide access for users both globally with the International Federation of Library Association and Institutions (IFLA) Standards and locally with Schools Catalogue Information Service (SCIS). Hider (2012) has provided me with the necessary definitions and technical terms which although struggling to understand at times, has provided me with a basic understanding that effective and standardised information organisation equates with improved access for users.  I appreciate the complex process of cataloguing resources and am grateful that cataloguers enjoy their work and that these services exist for schools.

This subject has highlighted many of the inconsistencies and errors in cataloguing in my own school library which I have discovered and inadvertently contributed to myself. Even though SCIS records are imported it still shows the importance of  ensuring the subject headings meet the needs of school users and any adjustments made are complimentary and do not impede access to the full utilisation of  resources schools already have. Hider (2012)

Assignment two has highlighted the difficultly in cataloguing without viewing the physical resource, reinforcing that assigning correct subject headings requires detailed knowledge of the content and the curriculum. This subject has provided future directions on solving some of the cataloguing dilemmas which occur with unclassified resources. I feel I would have the basic understanding and necessary resources to allocate appropriate headings and Dewey numbers. I have developed a deeper knowledge of the language of subject headings and sub divisions which I am sure will assist me and others with access. I have realised the value of cross references and admit to panicking that my library perhaps did not have them. I know I have some amending, rationalising and fine tuning of subject headings in the future.

It appears however, it is an exciting and challenging time for cataloguers as they must come to grips with Resource Description and Access (RDA) primarily designed to help libraries transition to the technological capabilities available via the Internet. I recently experienced through my work placement in ETL 507, that many cataloguing positions in public libraries have been made redundant due to cost cutting and outsourcing of cataloguing and ‘shelf ready’ processing by large companies. Perhaps as Hider (2012) states cataloguers may need to advocate for their positions and look for changes that will enhance and improve use of the bibliographic data they provide to ensure they remain viable p.188. O’Connell (2013) and Mitchell (2013) state that RDA has the potential to open up resources within and beyond our libraries through tailoring catalogue data to the educational and recreational content being used in schools.


No comments:

Post a Comment