Monday 12 October 2015

Innacuracies in Cataloguing



I have identified a few inaccuracies in my school library and have generally tried the common sense approach to fixing things up, hopefully providing better access. Other issues have more than likely been created by myself and others through lack of knowledge and understanding of classification . Even today I was questioning some manually accessioned books as the ISBN numbers returned no results in SCIS or Trove. My library assistant generally does most downloading of SCIS records and accessioning resources as this was the default position when I began  with no experience in this area. She always seeks advice from me on locations, challenging subjects. In my absence she assigned a series of popular Doctor Who novels with a call no for the series rather than the individual authors of the12 book collection. I was going to edit the resources but realised she had placed herself in the shoes of the user thinking about how they would readily access these popular books. It was obvious they would search for Doctor Who. So at this stage I’m going to leave them right or wrong. I guess I can always edit them at a later stage. I will shelve them as a series for ease of access for now anyhow. Inconsistencies and Problems with access and location usually present themselves during stocktake and can be edited to provide better access at a later date. I'm now wondering if I should be taking on more of the responsibility of importing Scis and  accessioning resources?

No comments:

Post a Comment